1. The boy was delighted with his new story book which he ________ for a long time.
A. was wanting B. has wanted
C. has been wanting D. had been wanting
2. It was midnight and he was tired because he ________since dawn.
A. was working B. has worked
C. had been working D. has been working
3. He ________ to get her on the phone, but he didn't get through it.
A. has tried B. was trying
C. tries D. had been trying
4. He ________ the door and after that he had a drink at a small cafe.
A. was painting B. has painted
C. had been painting D. has been painting
5. His brother was good at playing table tennis. He ________ it since he was ten.
A. had played B. played
C. had been playing D. was playing
6. The man ________ there in the sun for a long time and got his face burnt.
A. has stood B. was standing
C. had been standing D. is standing
7. He said that he ________ the novel and had not finished it yet．
A. is writing B. has written
C. writes D. had been writing
8. I asked where they ________ all these days.
A. have stayed B. stay
C. had been staying D. were staying
9. It ________ for four days when we arrived, so the roads were very muddy.
A. was raining B. would be raining
C. had been raining D. has rained
10. He told us that he ________ there since 1982.
A. has been living B. had been living
C. would have lived D. was living
11. He had been learning English for 3 years before he came here and ________ now.
A. is still learning B. had been learning
C. was still learning D. has been learning
12. By the end of last week, he ________ in the company for 10 years.
A. had worked B. had been working
C. will have worked D. would have worked
13.Not until then did people know that he ________ important military information to the enemy for a long time.
A.sold B. would sell
C. had sold D. had been selling
1—5 DCDCC 6—13 CDCCBBBD